A techie-humanitarian, Shaun King is widely regarded as one of today’s leading voices on how social media and a little bit of courage can make our world a radically better place. He speaks a message of hope and action over 150 times a year, has appeared in dozens of national press outlets, and is the founder of TwitChange, aHomeInHaiti, and Courageous Church in Atlanta, GA. Shaun is married to his high school sweetheart, Rai, and they proudly home-school and travel with their four young children. Oh yeah, Shaun is also a walking miracle (w/ pictures to prove it :-)
A serial entrepreneur, Shaun has launched nearly a dozen different successful startups designed to help empower and show compassion to hurting people throughout his hometown of Atlanta, as well as Haiti and other developing nations. A fearless leader with an open heart, Shaun will do virtually anything (and ask you to join him) short of porn or the electric slide to solve problems too often assumed to be impossible to address. These startups include
- 500toys:: Has provided a brand new toy and school uniform to every child of an inner city Atlanta elementary school for the past 2 years.
- hopeATL :: Provided over $1 million of emergency flood relief support to victims of the Atlanta floods
- GiveThemAGoodStart :: Provided every child at an inner city Atlanta elementary school all of their school supplies to start the year
- FreeBreakfastChurch :: Has provided tens of thousands of hot free meals every Sunday morning for over 2 years
- aHomeInHaiti :: Sent nearly $2 million worth of emergency aid to post earthquake Haiti.
- TwitChange :: Has received over 70 million hits in 8 months, received international acclaim for its creativity, and raised nearly $1 million for Haiti, families of American soldiers, and the education of girls in developing nations.
- Courageous Church :: Launched in January of 2009, Courageous Church is an exciting, diverse community of faith empowering people to use their faith to change the world.
Shaun taught his high school classmates in the 90s how to get an email address. He began developing web projects in 1997 as a freshman at Morehouse College. He has believed in the power of social media since MySpace was cool. Shaun was the first pastor ever featured on the official Facebook blog and has been active on Twitter since its inception.
Both a thought leader and practitioner on how to use social media for social good, Shaun also empowers businesses and organizations on how they can employ life-changing social media strategies.
- Mashable Award Winner for Most Creative Social Good Campaign :: TwitChange
- Doris J. Harris Humanitarian Award :: Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority
- Power 30 Under 30 :: Atlanta Apex Society
- Hometown Hero :: Atlanta Journal Constitution
- MSNBC’s The Grio Top 100 History Makers
- Man of the Year :: Morehouse College African American Studies Department
- Man of Distinction :: Delta Sigma Theta Sorority
What Others Say
“Shaun is one of the most dynamic, entrepreneurial, creative and passionate leaders on the American scene today.” – Scholar & Author, Leonard Sweet
“Shaun is and will be a great leader in Atlanta and beyond.” -The Late Honorable Maynard Jackson, Mayor of Atlanta
“Shaun is a shining star. A gifted, compassionate teacher and leader.” – Dr. Joan Wynne, Education Professor, Florida International University
“I was amazed and overwhelmed by the presentation Shaun made to a diverse group of professionals grappling with educational issues in Metro Atlanta.” – Dr. Janie Smith, Southern Regional Education Board
“An incredible human!” – Dr. Cindy Lutenbacher, Morehouse College
Read dozens of endorsements of Shaun King in his LinkedIn profile here.
See articles about Shaun from CNN, Wall-Street Journal, Mashable, Fox News, Forbes, and more here.