A little over a month ago I made what was a shocking announcement to some that I would be preaching my very last sermon series @ Courageous Church. I shared why and how I arrived at this conclusion and only a bit of what this meant for the future of our church. For the past 6 weeks I have served with some awesome teams in our church to flesh out what The New Courageous Church will look and feel like.
It’s been an amazing 6 weeks of dreaming, praying, discussing (and arguing), planning, and believing that God is able to do so much more with us and through us than we currently experience. With a few simple words, let me explain to you what The New Courageous Church will look like…
- This Sunday, our church is announcing 3 Emergency Causes that clearly break Gods heart and would honor scripture for us to jump into headfirst.
- On Easter Sunday we are asking people, after a week of prayer (our church has also been fasting for weeks), to pick ONE CAUSE.
- We will be asking people to devote a major amount of time, energy, and resources to the cause they select. The cause groups will meet at least twice per month.
- We will be forming new discipleship groups (we formerly called them small groups) based on the causes that people choose. These groups will meet weekly and will focus much of their time on what it means to be a disciple of Jesus.
- All Cause Teams, Discipleship Groups, and family, friends, etc. will meet for what we call our All Church Celebration (a worship service) once a month on the first Sunday of every month.
- We will also meet once a month for a large festive gathering that will be outdoors during the warmer months and indoors during the cooler months.
- Our children’s ministry, Courageous Kids, will be embedded in every level above.
In essence, what we are doing is making a radical shift in how we use our time, energy, planning, budget, etc. Below you will see how we have been using our human and financial resources and how we hope to use them in our new model.
Old Courageous Church ———-> New Courageous Church
80% Sunday Focus ———–> 20% Sunday Focus
15% Small Group Focus ———–> 40% Small Group Focus
5% Outreach Focus ————> 40% Outreach Focus
As you see, we’re not blowing the whole thing up as much as we are radically shifting our emphasis to provide much more balance in what we do.
Many churches and pastors have humorously reached out to me to let me know they were watching to see if this works (or not) to see if they should do the same thing. Ultimately, I just hope that you all would pray for us, root for us, and support our shift. It is honestly what I feel God is calling us to do and what I feel will best honor scripture for the people we serve.