(Note #1: These are my raw thoughts and I have not edited this blog for errors. At the very bottom of it, I have some important questions…)
(Note #2: I hope our big news inspires all of you to live life to the fullest. We’re doing it on a shoestring budget, with 4 kids, and only a small bit of certainty.)
For the first 15 years of my adult life, I lived in Atlanta, loved it, but too often lived timidly until the end.
Since 2011, though, my entire family has embraced a true spirit of adventure. During these 3+ years:
- We moved to California, fell in love with the place, and started HopeMob. The beach became our home.
- We moved to Kentucky for a year to be with our extended family and so that I could more easily travel to New York where I was preparing to launch a tech start-up, Upfront.
- We said “what the hell” and decided to move the entire family to Manhattan into a 1 bedroom apartment so that I could work full-time to launch Upfront. To our surprise, it was one of the most memorable times of our entire life and none of us really cared about the small space.
- We moved the family back to California a year ago after our Manhattan apartment was overrun with mice (worse than you know) and have loved every minute of being out here.
During these 3 years we’ve climbed mountains (literally), launched businesses, sold thousands of Girl Scout cookies, camped at the most beautiful national parks, our children have all started and excelled at new sports and instruments and hobbies, and I think we are all about as healthy and whole (inside and out) as we’ve ever been.
So, our lease at our California home is up tomorrow and we’ve decided to totally go for it. Most of the work I do, I do from the internet and I am not tied down to any one physical location. We felt like the timing was perfect for us to take a real calculated risk and for the world to be our oyster.
On this Sunday, we are moving to Cape Town, South Africa!!
We are literally staying in a home we found on AirBNB for the next month and will decide what all the future may hold for us once we arrive. We have a few friends there. I traveled there over 10 years ago while a student @ Morehouse and loved it.
We hope to try new foods, see new things, swim in new waters, make new friends, help new causes, and allow our hearts and minds to be open to new possibilities. We are planning on coming back to the states before September, but we are completely open to anything.
I have decided to step down from my day to day role as Chief Creative Officer of Upfront. I will continue to serve on the board and am excited about all that is next for Upfront. Ray Lee & Vinnie Tuscano, my Co-Founders, are capable and talented leaders and I am rooting for them in every way.
I hope to have some very exciting news to share about the future of HopeMob in the weeks ahead.
While in South Africa, I aim to love on my wife and kids like they deserve and devote a large chunk of my daily time to leading 100 Life Goals University and preparing for the release of my first book, 100!
If you missed in on social media, I just announced that we signed a VERY awesome deal with Simon & Schuster/Howard books to publish “100!” and I can’t wait to get it in your hands!
I have a few questions for you! Leave your answers in the comments and feel free to email me @ firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Do you know anyone in Cape Town that you’d like for me to meet?
2. Do you have anywhere special in Cape Town you’d like for me to visit?
3. Do you have anywhere special in Cape Town where my family could serve kids and families in need?
4. Can you give me any real tips on using my AT&T iPhone while in South Africa? Get a SIM card?
5. Where can I rent an automatic van for a monthly rental other than the main spots I see online?
6. Have any tips on SPECIFIC places where we could live in a month or so?
7. Do you know of any schools that may open to hiring an outstanding, fully certified elementary school teacher?
8. Do you know any SPECIFIC places where I could get access to SUPER HIGH SPEED internet?
9. Do you know any videographers I could meet and work with?
10. Would you please pray for us?
THANK YOU ALL! Your love and support across the years means the world to me.